securing MySQL: easiest/best ways?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue May 8 20:52:01 UTC 2012

On 08/05/2012 20:55, Jerry wrote:
> On Tue, 08 May 2012 15:34:02 +0100
> Matthew Seaman articulated:
>
>> >Sounds almost as if the my.cnf you've been editing is not the my.cnf
>> >that your mysql instance is using.  IIRC there was some talk about
>> >moving from the usual BSD-ish /var/db/mysql/my.cnf to
>> >/usr/local/etc/my.cnf (no doubt under some insidious influence from
>> >Linux.)

> The first time I ever looked for "my.cnf" I had expected to find it in
> "/usr/local/etc". Since so many configuration files are stored there,
> it just seemed like a natural place for it to be located. IMHO, a
> centralized repository for configuration files greatly simplifies
> system maintenance.

Yeah.  It's no big deal.

But...

Maybe you want to run more than one instance of mysql on the same machine.

Or you want to move the data directory lock, stock and barrel onto a
different server.  Maybe it's some ultra fancy fail-over setup with a
data dir shared between two servers.  Keeping the configs with the data
does have a few advantages.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3