bsdpan-* ports, portmanager, and "@comment ORIGIN:"

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sun Apr 29 17:36:59 UTC 2012

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 13:23:23 -0400
Daniel Staal articulated:

>--As of April 29, 2012 12:46:52 PM -0400, Jerry is alleged to have
>said:
>
>>> Which would be fine, if annoying, if everything actually was
>>> available in Ports.  But it's not: I'm using several modules that
>>> aren't available from Ports, and of course the modules I'm
>>> *developing* aren't available from Ports.
>>
>> Which specific modules are not available? In the past I had to port a
>> few Perl modules into FreeBSD or else install them via CPAN as you
>> have done. If it is a simple module, I can show you how to do it or
>> make a port for it myself. Also, you should be aware that many
>> modules are available in the ports system, but not under the correct
>> CPAN name. Don't ask why; I did once and got so much BS that I just
>> abandoned the question.
>
>--As for the rest, it is mine.
>
>I'm still in early development, so the list is likely to grow as the
>project moves along.  The main one that's causing me trouble at the
>moment is CGI::Application::Plugin::CompressGzip, although I've
>noticed that several others of the CGI::Application set that look
>interesting and useful aren't in the ports system.  And, of course,
>there is the modules I'm developing for this project.
>
>Making ports for each one feels like a band-aid though: It's a
>'solution' that's just going to grow in complexity and scope the
>longer it goes on, and isn't really fixing anything other than the
>individual symptoms.  A real solution to me would either be a way to
>get "@comment ORIGIN:" to automatically populate in the bsdpan-*
>(CPAN) module install process, or a way to get portmanager to ignore
>modules installed via that process.

UNTESTED: In the /usr/local/etc/portmanager/pm-020.conf file, add the
specific port(s) you are trying to bypass.

EXAMPLE:

	IGNORE|www/tidy|

Again, this is untested, but I have used it for other ports that I
needed to skip.

I will have a look at the CPAN module:
CGI::Application::Plugin::CompressGzip later today or tomorrow and see
if I can make a port of it for you.

--
Jerry ♔