editor that understands CTRL/B, CTRL/I, CTRL/U

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Apr 26 21:45:55 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> Thanks for that article, it's really sad. One of the main
> problems is (in my opinion) that GENERIC SKILLS aren't
> recognozed with the big importane they have.

This applies to hiring as well as education.  When they read a job
application, HR people seem to basically do keyword matching.  They
don't know or care about generic skills.  If the posting says
'Microsoft Word experience' the words 'Microsoft Word' better appear
somewhere in the resume.  Likewise, if they want experience with a
particular programming language, you'd better have experience with
THAT SPECIFIC LANGUAGE...never mind if you already know five and can
pick up another in a week's time.

Generic skills aren't recognized because they're hard to judge and
test for.  People want quantifiable, objective things to weed out
applicants.  This is also why credit scoring has become so popular --
sure, someone's credit score may not tell whether they'd be a good
employee or not, but it's a convenient, objective way to throw out a
bunch of resumes.