editor that understands CTRL/B, CTRL/I, CTRL/U

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Apr 26 21:52:58 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 02:45:53PM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:

> Generic skills aren't recognized because they're hard to judge and
> test for.  People want quantifiable, objective things to weed out
> applicants.  This is also why credit scoring has become so popular --
> sure, someone's credit score may not tell whether they'd be a good
> employee or not, but it's a convenient, objective way to throw out a
> bunch of resumes.

Indeed -- and the employer who bucks this trend does him/her self a huge
service, because large numbers of very skilled and/or talented people are
being rejected on entirely arbitrary criteria that have little or no
correlation to their ability to do the job.  People who use such critera
are forcing themselves to compete with everyone else in the industry
using the same criteria, leaving a glut of job candidates who would be
great at the job waiting for someone else to give them a chance.