Dual monitors ok, but no mouse and keyboard action on the slave screen

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Mon Apr 23 02:44:11 UTC 2012

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012, Polytropon wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 13:43:31 +0200, Kenneth Hatteland wrote:
>> I`ve gotten a 17 inch monitor in addition to my 22 inch working with 2
>> separate desktops. I plan to have stuff like wireshark etc on the
>> smallest. But I have a problem, I can get no work done since I have no
>> mouse or keyboard working on the 17"...
>>
>> Anyone have somewhere with a solution to point me towards ?
>
> There are basically two kind of two-monitor settings: One
> is to have the WM manage them, the other one is to "concatenate"
> them to one "logical screen".
>
> I've been using the "concatenated screen" with two 21" CRTs,
> each running at 1400x1050, so the result was a 2800x1050
> ultra extended extraordinary super hyper big wide screen. :-)
>
> You can configure this in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (which you
> can have X auto-generate).
>
> For example, "ServerLayout" could contain
>
> 	Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
> 	Screen 1 "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
> 	Option "Xinerama" "on"

The newer way to do this is with a Virtual entry in the Screen section:

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor0"
         VendorName   "HWP"
         ModelName    "2615"
         Option       "PreferredMode" "1920x1200"
         Option       "Position" "1280 0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor1"
         VendorName   "SAM"
         ModelName    "215"
         Option       "PreferredMode" "1280x1024"
         Option       "Position" "0 0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"