SV: wheel group & mkdir

Hasse Hansson fbsd at thorshammare.org
Wed Sep 7 00:33:34 UTC 2011

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] På vegne af Fbsd8
Sendt: den 7 september 2011 01:14
Til: Matthew Seaman
Cc: Freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Emne: Re: wheel group & mkdir

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 06/09/2011 16:49, Fbsd8 wrote:
>> I have a user that belongs to the wheel group but when the user tries to
>> issue mkdir command it gets a permission denied error.
>>
>> How do I fix this?
>
> Make the directory that contains where your user is trying to create a
> new subdirectory writable by group wheel.  Either that, or teach your
> user to use su(1) or sudo(1) so they can mkdir as root.  (Adding users
> to group wheel so they are permitted to run su(1) is a BSD-ism, and is
> the usual reason for adding anyone to wheel.)
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Matthew
	Thanks for your reply. I have a user id that is in the wheel group.
su and get prompted for the user id's password after which I get
returned to the command line. Running the script with the mkdir command
embedded still returns Permission Denied message. I have read the su man
page to no joy. Could you please explain the sequence of events to get
su to work.

Thanks

Hello.

If I've got the correct impression of it, to be in the wheel group, able you
to su to root, meaning get root privilieges.
BUT you have to know and use the root password.
If you have installed the "sudo" port, which is very easy to config, just by
removing some "hash #" marks some common privilieges of the wheel group, to
obtain almost "root power" configurable by you. And also configuarable is,
if you like the group to use their own passwords or none, just belonging to
the wheel group, when issuing the sudo command.
According to my humble understanding, just belonging to the wheel group
without further configuration, don't get you much more.

/Hasse