wheel group & mkdir

Beech Rintoul beech at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 7 17:51:13 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 06 September 2011 16:19:51 Fbsd8 wrote:
> Beech Rintoul wrote:

> >> Matthew
> >>
> >> 	Thanks for your reply. I have a user id that is in the wheel group. I
> >>
> >> su and get prompted for the user id's password after which I get
> >> returned to the command line. Running the script with the mkdir command
> >> embedded still returns Permission Denied message. I have read the su man
> >> page to no joy. Could you please explain the sequence of events to get
> >> su to work.
> >
> > user# su
> > Pass: root password
> > root#
> >
> > Beech
>
> Thank you Beech.
> I was entering the password of the user.
> When I entered root's password the script containing mkdir worked.
>
> One remaining question. Is there any time limit on having root access?
> I mean will root access remain until the user exits?

Yes, the shell will remain root until you either logout (it will go back to
user) or close the shell.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech at FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | http://people.freebsd.org/~beech
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Skype: akbeech
/ \ - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/8.2R/announce.html