FreeBSD make buildworld fail: cc: Internal error: Killed: 9 (program cc1)

Denise H. G. darcsis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 14:55:56 UTC 2011

On 2011/11/10 at 20:56, Traiano Welcome <Traiano.Welcome at mtnbusiness.co.za> wrote:

> Hi
> Thanks for the feedback.
>

> I'd be happy to try this sequence, however I don't make it  past "make
> buildworld".
> (of note, the sequence I used above works on all my other boxen though)
>
> I've just scrutinised /usr/src/UPDATING (there is no file called UPGRADING
> ? ) and can't seem to find anything specific to this make fail. File
> version as follows:

Sorry, it's a typo. It IS UPDATING not UPGRADING:)

If you still can't make it, there probably are some problems with your
system. Or you could clean up everything, re-csup your system sources
and try again. Or you could file a bug report to see if it helps.

>  $FreeBSD: src/UPDATING,v 1.632.2.19.2.6 2011/10/04 19:07:38 cperciva Exp $
>
> I'm following the process outlined in the FreeBSD manual up until "make
> buildworld", and can't see where I might be wrecking things:
>
>  1) synching the source:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html
>
>      (... BTW, note to editor: I see nothing in this section of the manual
> about "csup"?

csup is a C language rewrite of cvsup. Generally you could tell no
difference between them from a user's perspective.

>  2) building world:
>

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
>
> BTW: I've just upgraded my binutils (as, ld) as there was a reference  in
> the UPDATING file to an ld bug, but that did not seem to affect anything.

I think this might be irrelevant to your case.

--
History proves nothing.