FreeBSD make buildworld fail: cc: Internal error: Killed: 9 (program cc1)

Damien Fleuriot ml at my.gd
Thu Nov 10 13:17:38 UTC 2011

On 11/10/11 11:05 AM, Traiano Welcome wrote:
> Hi All
>
>  I'm trying to upgrade from FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0 to FreeBSD 8.2 or
> better. My upgrade sequence would be as follows:
>
>  0. cd /usr/src/;make cleanworld (and in extreme cases rm -rf /usr/src/*
> and rm -rf /usr/obj)
>  1. csup -L 2 stable supfile.
>  2. cd /usr/src; make buildworld && make buildkernel && make installkernel
> && make installworld && reboot
>  3. mergemaster -p && make installworld && mergemaster && reboot

Your upgrade steps are wrong, although this has nothing to do with your
buildworld failing.

1/ make buildworld (automatically cleans up anyway)
2/ make buildkernel
3/ make installkernel
4/ mergemaster -p
5/ reboot (single user if possible)
6/ make installworld
7/ mergemaster -F
8/ reboot
9/ optional, make delete-old

Why use csup manually ?
Set your variables in /etc/make.conf and just run "make update" from
/usr/src.

Here are mine:
SUP_UPDATE=     yes
SUP=            /usr/bin/csup
SUPFLAGS=       -zgL 2
SUPHOST=        cvsup1.fr.freebsd.org
SUPFILE=        /etc/cvsup/stable-supfile
PORTSSUPFILE=   /etc/cvsup/ports-supfile
DOCSUPFILE=     /etc/cvsup/doc-supfile

==> Post your src.conf and make.conf, your problem might be there.

As a last resort, I would suggest synching sources with 8.1 and trying
to build it, to see if you still encounter the problem.