"Text Ticker" app. nntp / rss client?

Gary Gatten Ggatten at waddell.com
Thu Mar 31 20:52:45 UTC 2011

Hi,

So I'm looking for a "simple" way to distribute company info internally, such as: application availability info, weather updates, etc.  Whatever the powers at be deem appropriate to distribute.  I'm thinking maybe something based on nntp, rss, or whatever.

"I" would personally like to see this as a multicast app.  The "client" would then join at least two groups: 1.) The "general" company info group, and 2.) their specific department group.  The client would...cycle / loop displaying text from each group it joined.  Ie:

"Company XYZ: stock is $591, company picnic June 7th!, Red Truck has it's lights on...  Customer service: 13 calls in queue, 2 holding for 5+ minutes. Mandatory overtime for Jayhawks Group this weekend..."

Maybe it can get fancy and when new text is displayed it will change colors, flash, come to front / on top of desktop (unhide), etc.

I've spent a few mins searching ports and only found one "stock ticker" app.  I'll check the nntp servers - and others.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!

Gary

"This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient
 and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.
 any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this email
 and its attachments, if any, is strictly prohibited.  If you have
 received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by
 return email and delete this email from your system."