use of menus crashes Firefox?

Rob Farmer rfarmer at predatorlabs.net
Fri Jan 21 01:05:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 16:43, Keith Seyffarth <weif at weif.net> wrote:
>> Doing a "bt" would have been helpful right about there, but I think I've got enough info to suggest rebuilding your kernel with the following option:
>>
>> options         P1003_1B_SEMAPHORES
>
> thanks again, Chuck.
>
> I can easily get the bt if needed, but I looked into rebuilding the
> kernel. It looks like I need to first update the source tree. I think I
> can see how to do that with cvsup, but if I do that, am I going to be
> trying to build an 8.3 kernel to run in a 7.2 environment? I suspect
> that would not have the desired end result of a running computer...
>
> Or should I just build the kernel with what's currently in /usr/src?

So have you tried this?

Firefox 3.6 and HTML5

Certain functions used to display HTML5 elements need the sem module.

If your Firefox crashes with the following message while viewing a
HTML5 page:
"Bad system call (core dumped)"

you need to load the sem module (kldload sem).

To load sem on every boot put the following into your
/boot/loader.conf:
sem_load="YES"