glabel, gmirror, and gpart

Johan Hendriks Johan at double-l.nl
Sat Aug 27 12:03:01 UTC 2011

>On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

> So it's cosmetic, but not really the kind of message that instills
> confidence.  gptboot needs to be able to tell if it's reading from a
> gmirror.  Or gmirror should provide one block less than it does, so it
> doesn't overwrite the GPT backup.

I use the whole disk to gmirror setup on all my servers.

And one day i thought i could try the gpart stuff.
I also saw the message at startup, and disgarded it.
This was on 8.1

But when i did an upgrade to 8.2 later on, the system could not boot.
So i had to find another way.

So i would not do it like you do now, it could turn against you in the long run.
The thing i did was to mirror each partition.
Like so http://unix-heaven.org/node/24
that way it worked.
Do not forget to make your second disk bootable also

regards,
Johan Hendriks