A quality operating system

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat Aug 20 20:22:49 UTC 2011

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011 11:09:53 -0700
Michael Sierchio articulated:

> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Dave Pooser
> <dave-freebsd at pooserville.com> wrote:
>
> > 3) Updates are a mess. It's cool that I *can* compile a new kernel,
> > but that I *have* to is ridiculous. Updating a server should not be
> > more difficult than "yum update" -- full stop.
>
> Are you lazy, or stupid?  man freebsd-update

I have never wasted my time with it personally; however, I thought I
read somewhere that it did not work if the user had built a custom
kernel. From what I have seen written regarding it, you have to move the
custom kernel out of the way and replace it with the generic kernel,
run the freebsd-update program and then re-install the custom kernel and
then rebuild that. Assuming that is correct, I can safely say that only
a masochist would find that solution given the numerous possibilities
for catastrophic failure any serious consideration. Obviously the KISS
principal was considered important in this scenario.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+fbsd at seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or ignored.
Do not CC this poster. Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.