Unable to access CDROM device to play music

dan glimp at live.com
Sat Sep 25 21:26:16 UTC 2010

On 25.09.2010 22:31, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:09:23 -0400, Carmel<carmel_ny at hotmail.com>  wrote:
>> I am using FreeBSD 8.1 / amd64 with Platform Version 4.5.1 (KDE 4.5.1)
>> if that matters.Before updating my system to FreeBSD 8.1 / amd64, I had
>> the 7.3 /32 bit version installed. I completely erased the HD prior to
>> installed the newer version so as to eliminate any accumulated garbage
>> that might be hanging around. Previously, I was able to play CD Audio
>> files without any problem. The "cdcontrol" program worked fine and I
>> was able to play music files while using KDE using its audio player.
>>
>> I now find that I can no-longer achieve that goal. When I place an audio
>> CD into the PC, this error message is displayed: (It will probably wrap)
>>
>> Unable to mount Audio Disc
>> DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply:
>> Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
>
> You cannot mount audio CDs.
>
> The important lines from your system log are:
>
> acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x64 ascq=0x00
> SCSI status: Check Condition
> SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:64,0 (Illegal mode for this track)
>
> This seems to indicate that the CD cannot be read. Can it be read
> with a different drive? Maybe the drive is faulty. Or the media
> is. Can you check the media in a "hardware CD player"?
>

>> I am at a loss here. I don't believe I made any radical changes from
>> the configuration I was using in my older FreeBSD installation.
>
> First of all, HAL seems to be interfering. To check, make sure HAL
> is not running, then do "cdcontrol play 1". Have the "mixer" program
> push all volumes up.
>

>> I might add that MPlayer cannot see the drive either; although, it use
>> to work fine.
>
> In how far does mplayer "see a drive"?
>

>> This problem exists whether KDE is running or not. The
>> "cdcontrol" player will open and close the door on the device; however,
>> no sound is emitted.
>
> Does the drive have a phones connector at the front? Does it maybe
> play from there? Playing audio CDs is a feature of drives that does
> not neccessarily need CPU / system attention (except for starting
> the playback by a drive command).
>
> Are you accessing the drive by ATAPI or ATAPICAM?
>

>> Normal 'notification' sounds are emitted so I know
>> the speakers, etc. are working correctly. The KDE start-up
>> notifications works just fine.
>
> So no problem on this side.

If you are accessing ATAPI device using the SCSI subsystem make sure the
user has all the required permissions to read/write xpt* pass* cd*.
Run "camcontrol devlist" as a normal user and see if it shows you any
drive  (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/creating-cds.html
Section 18.6.9).

If this matters somehow I get many of the following messages

(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 0 0 2 99 77 0 0 1 0
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST csi:28,a,1,20
asc:64,0 (Illegal mode for this track)
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): cddone: got error 0x6 back
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 0 0 0 0 20 0 0 4 0
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(...)
when an audio cd is pre-loaded at bootup into my external dvd rewriter.
But the drive is functional (or at least seems to be... :-D).