Unable to access CDROM device to play music

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Sep 25 20:31:42 UTC 2010

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 08:09:23 -0400, Carmel <carmel_ny at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am using FreeBSD 8.1 / amd64 with Platform Version 4.5.1 (KDE 4.5.1)
> if that matters.Before updating my system to FreeBSD 8.1 / amd64, I had
> the 7.3 /32 bit version installed. I completely erased the HD prior to
> installed the newer version so as to eliminate any accumulated garbage
> that might be hanging around. Previously, I was able to play CD Audio
> files without any problem. The "cdcontrol" program worked fine and I
> was able to play music files while using KDE using its audio player.
>
> I now find that I can no-longer achieve that goal. When I place an audio
> CD into the PC, this error message is displayed: (It will probably wrap)
>
> Unable to mount Audio Disc
> DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply:
> Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

You cannot mount audio CDs.

The important lines from your system log are:

acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x64 ascq=0x00
SCSI status: Check Condition
SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:64,0 (Illegal mode for this track)

This seems to indicate that the CD cannot be read. Can it be read
with a different drive? Maybe the drive is faulty. Or the media
is. Can you check the media in a "hardware CD player"?

> I am at a loss here. I don't believe I made any radical changes from
> the configuration I was using in my older FreeBSD installation.

First of all, HAL seems to be interfering. To check, make sure HAL
is not running, then do "cdcontrol play 1". Have the "mixer" program
push all volumes up.

> I might add that MPlayer cannot see the drive either; although, it use
> to work fine.

In how far does mplayer "see a drive"?

> This problem exists whether KDE is running or not. The
> "cdcontrol" player will open and close the door on the device; however,
> no sound is emitted.

Does the drive have a phones connector at the front? Does it maybe
play from there? Playing audio CDs is a feature of drives that does
not neccessarily need CPU / system attention (except for starting
the playback by a drive command).

Are you accessing the drive by ATAPI or ATAPICAM?

> Normal 'notification' sounds are emitted so I know
> the speakers, etc. are working correctly. The KDE start-up
> notifications works just fine.

So no problem on this side.

--
Polytropon