can't start firefox

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Oct 31 19:25:57 UTC 2010

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 14:11:22 -0400, Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Whenever I try to launch firefox I get a message saying Firefox is
> already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must
> first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.

Restart the system... very funny... :-)

> Then I try doing a ps so that I can find the pid and kill it...
>
> LBSD1# ps -auxwww | grep firefox
> LBSD1#
>

> But it does not appear to be running. I've tried rebooting and
> reinstalling the port.. nothing works.. HELP!!! :)

First check what happens: Try to start Firefox from a terminal
window (e. g. xterm) to see if any messages appear.

In parallel, have another xterm open and the "top -s 1" command
running. Firefox should appear on top of the list, and look
something like this:

 PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
1496 poly         10 104    0 49004K 37000K ucond    0:00 151.17% firefox-bin

The Firefox's process name is "firefox-bin". If the program doesn't
seem to react anymore, look what state it is in. As you should also
see the PID, try to kill it and see how the top output changes
(in most cases, the process should disappear).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany