FreeBSD - POP3 timeouts

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 06:13:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Grant Peel <gpeel at thenetnow.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have serveral servers setup with FreeBSD 8.0.
>
> Each of these servers are running vm-pop3d, which has worked well for many
> years now.
>
> Since installing FreeBSD 8.0, the number of timeouts on port 110 have
> skyrocketed on all the servers.

What do es "since installing FreeBSD 8.0" mean here? Why did you install
FreeBSD 8.0?? What were you running before?

> Some clients connecting (checking thier email) 200 times a day, may be
> seeing as many as 50 timeouts.
>
> Is there any tuning somewhere I have missed?

You must also show us the server logs showing the timeouts. Please enable
debug logging on vm-pop3d if possible.

I hope you do realize that in this forum, we mostly handle questions about
FreeBSD and not those related to the daily running of apps (like vm-pop3d).
so you'll bear with us since some of us run other pop3/imap4 servers
different than vm-pop3d.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,