FreeBSD - POP3 timeouts

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Fri Nov 5 20:27:55 UTC 2010

Please see below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Odhiambo Washington" <odhiambo at gmail.com>
To: "Grant Peel" <gpeel at thenetnow.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 2:12 AM
Subject: Re: FreeBSD - POP3 timeouts

> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Grant Peel <gpeel at thenetnow.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have serveral servers setup with FreeBSD 8.0.
>>
>> Each of these servers are running vm-pop3d, which has worked well for
>> many
>> years now.
>>
>> Since installing FreeBSD 8.0, the number of timeouts on port 110 have
>> skyrocketed on all the servers.
>>

> What do es "since installing FreeBSD 8.0" mean here? Why did you install
> FreeBSD 8.0?? What were you running before?

It means I have been running the same configuration for many years without
seeing the issue, and am currently using the same setup with a fresh install
of Freebsd 8.0 The same setup ran fine for years on FreeBSD 4.4, 4.10,
5.2.1, 6.1, 6.3, 7.0/

>> Some clients connecting (checking thier email) 200 times a day, may be
>> seeing as many as 50 timeouts.
>>
>> Is there any tuning somewhere I have missed?
>>

> You must also show us the server logs showing the timeouts. Please enable
> debug logging on vm-pop3d if possible.

Here is a sample from /var/log/maillog. It wont say much, other than the
user session timed out:

Nov  5 16:16:50 pegasus vm-pop3d[22070]: Connect from 24.114.xxx.xxx
Nov  5 16:16:50 pegasus vm-pop3d[22070]: uid 0, gid 6
Nov  5 16:16:51 pegasus vm-pop3d[22070]: cmd: USER info at somedomain.ca
Nov  5 16:16:51 pegasus vm-pop3d[22070]: uid 65534, gid 6
Nov  5 16:16:51 pegasus vm-pop3d[22070]: User 'info' of 'somedomain.ca'
logged in
Nov  5 16:16:51 pegasus vm-pop3d[22070]: cmd: STAT
Nov  5 16:21:57 pegasus vm-pop3d[22070]: Session timed out for user: info

> I hope you do realize that in this forum, we mostly handle questions about
> FreeBSD and not those related to the daily running of apps (like
> vm-pop3d).
> so you'll bear with us since some of us run other pop3/imap4 servers
> different than vm-pop3d.

I have been using these forums for many years now, and I do understand that
this is for FreeBSD and not ports like vm-pop3d. I posted it here thinking
there may be some strange Ethernet driver issue, or sysctl setting the I
might not be aware of, or possibly some problem with inetd that may have
popped up in FreeBSD 8.0.

FWIW here is the process for inetd\:
80070  ??  Ss     0:07.36 /usr/sbin/inetd -wW -C 60

and here is the config line from inetd.conf:
pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/tcpd
/usr/local/sbin/vm-pop3d -D9 -t300

There are lots of Virtual Pop3d accounts spread over many domains on the
servers, and I have a number of them myself. I have not seen this issue with
any of the accounts I use, ever. I do not beleive thier is a firewall issue
here.

Just for investigations, I am going to switch form inetd to daemon mode....

-Grant