Problem with GnuPG

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 25 11:58:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:16:06 -0700
Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> articulated:

> [...]
>
>         WWW: http://gpa.wald.intevation.org/
>
> Checking the site didn't really give me any information at all, but
> the pkg-descr file for Seahorse says:
>
>         Seahorse is a Gnome front end for GnuPG - the Gnu Privacy
> Guard program.
>
>         It is a tool for secure communications and data storage.
>         Data encryption and digital signature creation can easily
>         be performed through a GUI and Key Management operations
>         can easily be carried out through an intuitive interface.
>
>         WWW: http://seahorse.sourceforge.net/
>
> Looking at the Seahorse site, it says it supports GnuPG keys *and* SSH
> keys.  It lists a few other things it does, including an ambiguous and
> frustratingly undefined "More...".  I hunted around a bit and, on the
> developer wiki, found a short list labeled "To Do (Grand Plans and
> Quackery)" that included "Support X.509 certificates" as its first
> item.
>
> My thought is, if the GPA developers are following a similar path to
> what the Seahorse developers are doing, they might even have gotten
> to X.509 certs first.  If that's the case, GPA may have just
> automagically hunted up the X.509 certificates used by your browser
> and added them to the list of managed keys.
>
> Given the notion that GPA may have a bunch of functionality and
> features that aren't even known to the user, and that it may try to
> magically do things its developers assume people want, it's possible
> that it is interfering somehow in the proper operation of GnuPG with
> regard to your MUA.  Perhaps some configuration file(s) for GPA,
> separate from the GnuPG configuration directory itself, are surviving
> the uninstalls and reinstalls of your various OpenPGP related tools
> -- and maybe that's the reason it isn't currently working with  your
> MUA.  It could be worth investigating.  Is the manpage for GPA any
> help at all (since there doesn't appear to be any documentation at
> all on the Website)?
>
> I'm curious about what's causing the problem, so if/when you get this
> sorted out, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know anything you learn
> about the problem.  I may try to help you investigate the matter
> further as well if you keep me abreast of what you uncover about the
> matter.  Of course, I don't plan to install GPA anywhere, so my
> ability to look into it is *somewhat* limited, but I might be able to
> pitch in a little as time permits.
>

> > Other than dumping the whole system, reformatting and re-installing
> > the OS, has anyone ever heard of this happening before; and if so,
> > how to correct it?
>
> I'm sure there's *something* you can do without nuking and paving --
> even if it's somewhat drastic, like selecting a different MUA (if, for
> instance, a change in one of the tools or in the MUA itself has
> introduced an incompatibility somewhere).
>
> Oh, that reminds me . . . is it possible that a change has been made
> to some configuration for the MUA itself, without your knowledge?

OK, I posted this on the 'GnuPG' list earlier; however, since you
requested further info, here it is.

This is the file that apparently GPA is loading that has those pesky
'certs':

/usr/local/share/gnupg

-r--r--r--    1 root  wheel    27K Jan 20 22:43 com-certs.pem

I renamed the file, deleted those "~/.gnupg/*.kbx" files and restarted
GPA and the problem went away.

Apparently, GnuPG does have support for X.509 certificates. I have been
reading through the documentation -- info gnupg -- to discover its full
potential and usage. In any case, it apparently is configurable. I am
not sure what that is, or if I inadvertently turned it on. I am still
working on that phase of debugging.

I have GnuPG working with 'claws-mail' now though. For whatever reason,
the plug-in that claws-mail uses for GnuPG was unloaded. I don't know
why; I certainly never did it. In any case, after reloading it,
claws-mail works again with GnuPG. I wouldn't doubt that there is some
sort of gnomish bug lurking around, though I doubt that I will ever
discover its existence.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

Consider a spherical bear, in simple harmonic motion...

	Professor in the UCB physics department