Problem with GnuPG

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Jan 25 07:24:17 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 06:19:58AM -0500, Jerry wrote:
> I posted this recently on the GnuPG forum; however, no one had ever
> seen it before.
>
> FreeBSD-7.2
>
> gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.14
> libgcrypt 1.4.4
>
> gpa 0.9.0
>
> I honestly have no idea what the problem is here. I recently
> installed GnuPG on my system. Everything appeared to go fine. For some
> reason, I have numerous keys listed that I have no knowledge of.
>
> This URL shows the keys:
>
> http://seibercom.net/gnupg/KeyListing.png
>
> These are not OpenPGP keys, but x.509 certificates. I have no idea why
> they are showing up in the listing, nor can I delete them. GnuPG no
> longer works with my MUA either.I have tried deleting GnuPG in its
> entirety and the "~/.gnupg" directory. That did not alleviate the
> problem. Once I reinstalled them, the problem resurfaced.

I've never heard of anything like this with GnuPG either, and I'm really
not sure how you'd end up with a bunch of X.509 certificates in a GnuPG
keyring.  I do have a hypothesis for you to investigate, however:

You're using a tool I don't know anything about from personal experience.
Specifically, I'm talking about GPA.  I've always just used the command
line tools.  Because what you describe doesn't seem to make any sense for
the functionality of GnuPG, and you have this featureful GUI application
for managing keys, I thought maybe that was the place to look.

The contents of the pkg-descr file for security/gpa say:

        The GNU Privacy Assistant is a graphical frontend to GnuPG and
        may be used to manage the keys and encrypt/decrypt/sign/check
        files. It is much like Seahorse.

        WWW: http://gpa.wald.intevation.org/

Checking the site didn't really give me any information at all, but the
pkg-descr file for Seahorse says:

        Seahorse is a Gnome front end for GnuPG - the Gnu Privacy Guard
        program.

        It is a tool for secure communications and data storage.
        Data encryption and digital signature creation can easily
        be performed through a GUI and Key Management operations
        can easily be carried out through an intuitive interface.

        WWW: http://seahorse.sourceforge.net/

Looking at the Seahorse site, it says it supports GnuPG keys *and* SSH
keys.  It lists a few other things it does, including an ambiguous and
frustratingly undefined "More...".  I hunted around a bit and, on the
developer wiki, found a short list labeled "To Do (Grand Plans and
Quackery)" that included "Support X.509 certificates" as its first item.

My thought is, if the GPA developers are following a similar path to what
the Seahorse developers are doing, they might even have gotten to X.509
certs first.  If that's the case, GPA may have just automagically hunted
up the X.509 certificates used by your browser and added them to the list
of managed keys.

Given the notion that GPA may have a bunch of functionality and features
that aren't even known to the user, and that it may try to magically do
things its developers assume people want, it's possible that it is
interfering somehow in the proper operation of GnuPG with regard to your
MUA.  Perhaps some configuration file(s) for GPA, separate from the GnuPG
configuration directory itself, are surviving the uninstalls and
reinstalls of your various OpenPGP related tools -- and maybe that's the
reason it isn't currently working with  your MUA.  It could be worth
investigating.  Is the manpage for GPA any help at all (since there
doesn't appear to be any documentation at all on the Website)?

I'm curious about what's causing the problem, so if/when you get this
sorted out, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know anything you learn
about the problem.  I may try to help you investigate the matter further
as well if you keep me abreast of what you uncover about the matter.  Of
course, I don't plan to install GPA anywhere, so my ability to look into
it is *somewhat* limited, but I might be able to pitch in a little as
time permits.

> Other than dumping the whole system, reformatting and re-installing the
> OS, has anyone ever heard of this happening before; and if so, how to
> correct it?

I'm sure there's *something* you can do without nuking and paving -- even
if it's somewhat drastic, like selecting a different MUA (if, for
instance, a change in one of the tools or in the MUA itself has
introduced an incompatibility somewhere).

Oh, that reminds me . . . is it possible that a change has been made to
some configuration for the MUA itself, without your knowledge?

What *is* your MUA, anyway?

Good luck.