FreeBSD 2.0.5 Release

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Jan 5 04:39:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Paul Shi wrote:

> Thank you guys! At least, I got some idea where I should start.
> Install manual has a section "Install from DOS partition" It said that
> I should copy the /floppies/ to a new folder in hard disk named
> /FREEBSD/.

Well, yes, but you're going to have to format the hard drive to DOS
first.  And still figure out a way to get FreeBSD to boot.

> So I have following thoughts and correct me if I am wrong. I do NOT
> need an actual floppy disk. But I could make boot from Floppy Disk the
> first priority in boot order and system will find the root.flp in
> /floppies/ and start installation.

They might exist, but I've never met a BIOS that could boot from a
floppy image.  CDs can do that, if the CD image is set up for it.

If you have a floppy drive, you should probably install from floppies at
least once.  2.0.5 doesn't look like it took that many, either.