gv&(kernel|X)

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Feb 11 22:07:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:13:29 -0500 (EST), "Chuck Bacon" <crtb at cape.com> wrote:
> kernel or perhaps X, is next:  From an xterm, I typed ctrl-alt-F1 to look
> at something.  Upon return to the xterm by alt-F9, I discover "0~" as if
> I'd typed it in, which wasn't there before.  "cat|od -c" reveals it's (to
> quote):
> "033   [   2   0   ~  \n" .
> I don't remember what that does, but I can't find anything changed in X.

Sounds familiar... VERY familiar, and started (for me) with
the transition from 5/XFree86 to 7/X.org. I think what you
see in the xterm is the content of your edit buffer.

Try it: Select some arbitrary text with the left mouse
button (so as if you wanted to put it somewhere with the
middle mouse button), but then switch to text mode. Upon
your return to X, the text you selected is output.

The fun starts when you select text with more than one
line (so it contains one or more \n) and then return to
X with the focus of an xterm. Just imagine you selected
"rm -rf ~\ndf -h\n" somewhere - oh you will LOVE your
backups! :-)

Sadly, I can't tell you how to get rid of this strange
behaviour, but I can assure you that it hasn't always
been present.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany