Installation queries

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 24 17:43:40 UTC 2010

Glen Barber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jorge Biquez wrote:
>> I would like to hear if possible your comments and advice on this
>> taht's related ..
>>
>> What if you have a to have several OS and distros to study or give
>> consulting and developing services. I have this scenario now and I
>> guess I have this optios.
[snip]

> VirtualBox?

YES!

>> Thinking that you are looking to continue learning and you are
>> offering consulting services where clients have different
>> instllations. What would you choose of the above, if any? Or what would
>> you do?
>>

> FWIW, I run VirtualBox on all of my FreeBSD machines and my
> Mac for similar purposes.  It is much more convenient than carrying around
> extra disks or obscure disk partitioning.

Me too. I have an AMD quad core and 8GB RAM. Virtualbox is one of the most
painless ways to do this. Whichever OS you install in a VM it won't run as
fast as it can if not a VM, but on the larger horsepower box it is very
nearly  unnoticeable. It's close enough that I'm quite satisfied. In fact it
is what I do if I need Office for anything, fire up a Windows VM.

I originally started doing this with a Pentium D 940 and 2GB RAM and it made
the box a little sluggish. The move up to the higher horsepower box
eliminated that. Virtualbox and higher horsepower gets my vote over
continually monkeying around with altering slice/partitioning schemes. The
more often you mess with that the higher the chance that you sooner or later
make a little 'uh oh' and lose gobs of time wiping your drive and starting
over.

-Mike