Installation queries

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 15:12:49 UTC 2010

Hi,

Jorge Biquez wrote:
> I would like to hear if possible your comments and advice on this
> taht's related ..
>
> What if you have a to have several OS and distros to study or give
> consulting and developing services. I have this scenario now and I
> guess I have this optios.
>
> - Extra disk(s) and install there the differnet os I need (FreeBSD
> and some Linux distros).
> - As mentioned have different small disk with real installations and
> change according to needs.

IMHO, this is a clumsy way to avoid writing over an existing installed
operating system.  But, you know what they say about opinions.

> - Change my slow machine and have a big one with
>    a) have the windows needed (for some clients that have that, I am
> sorry) and under it run VMWARE or similar and have all the
> installations that I need.
>    b) Have a big mac and do the same with virtualpc or similar (not
> sure of the name).

VirtualBox?

> Thinking that you are looking to continue learning and you are
> offering consulting services where clients have different
> instllations. What would you choose of the above, if any? Or what would you do?

FWIW, I run VirtualBox on all of my FreeBSD machines and my
Mac for similar purposes.  It is much more convenient than carrying around
extra disks or obscure disk partitioning.

Regards,

--
Glen Barber