are there any notebooks with mouse-sticks?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Sep 10 03:07:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 02:50:01PM -1000, Al Plant wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 02:08:36PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> >>I'm looking for a small computer, 7-10" screen that has a ThinkPad-like
> >>stick
> >>to act as the mouse.  Pref'ly, no touch-pad.  The ASUS and just about
> >>every other
> >>notebook-size device has this kind of scratch-n-sniff pad; unfortunately,
> >>it looks
> >>as tho my palm would go there.  (I *did* see a separate mouse [and other
> >>add-ons]
> >>for the EEE; that might be a work around.)
> >
> >I sympathize with your desire for a trackpoint (instead of a touchpad),
> >and this is one reason I keep getting ThinkPads for my laptops.
> >Unfortunately, I don't know of any "netbooks" that come with trackpoints.
> >I hope you get an answer on this list so I'll get one as well (with the
> >obvious preference for FreeBSD, or at least *some* BSD Unix,
> >compatibility).
> >
> Aloha Gary,
>
> The HP Mini 1000 has a pad and it is not good. If I accidentally brush
> it with a finger it acts as a click same as the mouse buttons do. I
> think this is a terrible feature. ( No way to kill it either I checked.
> )I thought it was because I have large hands, but Julie has trouble too
> so she brought out a USB wireless logitech mouse from her stash of stuff
> and it works fine.

	Aloha Al [and Chad also],

	I fat-finger any of these mico-telephone keys[!]; it's worse yet if
	my finger spasms or even twitches.  Really, with one hand, my hand
	has to go smack in the middle of these small computers.  Which is
	where the touch pads are according to the pix.

	Are you saying that you can use your HP with the wireless mouse and
	still miss the pad most of the time?

	I checked out the ASUS extras, including the mouse and optical drive.
	Anybody on-list know if the EE touchpad can be completely disabled
	via the hardware setup/config?

	gary

    The 5.67a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php