Welcome to the "freebsd-questions" mailing list

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Thu May 14 20:23:16 UTC 2009

2009/5/14 Saifi Khan <saifi.khan at twincling.org>:

>> > Not true.
>> >
>> > Please see
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy
>> >

>> > thanks
>> > Saifi.
>> >

>> based on the wiki page (which we ALL know is NEVER wrong) states that
>> GNU/Linux is the correct form and the ONLY reason for calling it just Linux is
>> that its easier to say and that's how its known overall in mainstream media.
>

> based on Linus Torvalds (which we ALL know is RIGHT) states that
>
> when asked if the name GNU/Linux was justified:
>
>    Well, I think it's justified, but it's justified if you
>    actually make a GNU distribution of Linux ... the same way
>    that I think that "Red Hat Linux" is fine, or "SuSE Linux"
>    or "Debian Linux", because if you actually make your own
>    distribution of Linux, you get to name the thing, but
>    calling Linux in general "GNU Linux" i
>    I think is just ridiculous.
>
> (G)ot (N)othing (U)nique takes years since 1989 for http://is.gd/zGZh
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> thanks
> Saifi.

[chris at amnesiac]~% echo "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Hurd" | wc -c
      38
[chris at amnesiac]~% echo http://is.gd/zGZh |wc -c
      18

Seriously, please don't obfuscate URLs when there's no real need to.
Those of us who are careful prefer not to follow strange looking
links; it's counterproductive. is.gd and tinyurl are great if you have
to type in monstrous links like

http://port25.technet.com/archive/2006/10/13/Using-Vista_2700_s-Boot-Manager-to-Boot-Linux-and-Dual-Booting-with-BitLocker-Protection-with-TPM-Support.aspx

However, there's no need when it's either copy-paste or click, and
just confuses things.

Also, Torvalds talks about stuff like that far too much. It's only
fair to call it GNU/Linux; it IS GNU on top of the Linux kernel. It's
like calling Mac OS X Darwin, or NeXTSTEP Mach (or worse, FreeBSD!).

Chris