The question of moving vi to /bin

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 29 15:54:56 UTC 2009

On Mon 29 Jun 2009 at 08:19:58 PDT Gary Gatten wrote:
>Good to know, but I was just being a smart-a$$.  I will have to try out
>WINE though, been reading about it lately..

Because it implements its own version of the multiline edit control,
Notepad is just a thin wrapper around that, providing a main window to
house the control and a menu to drive it.

Wordpad is to the rich text control as Notepad is to the edit control.
Probably (meaning I don't know it for a fact) they were both originally
written as testbeds/demos for the controls, which are used throughout
Windows.

Kinda like the relationship between vi and curses, really -- except that
vi was written first and then curses was abstracted from it.