freeBSD logo

Randy Belk randy.belk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 22:10:29 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Randy Belk<randy.belk at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Vector formats (which would allow you to produce any resolution you want)
>>> are available here:
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/logo.html
>>
>> Isn't there some sort of restriction on how the logo can be used?  I wrote a post for my website about FreeBSD (PC-BSD, actually) and went looking for the FreeBSD.  I recall there some restrictions on Daemon.  Or are those days over?
>>
>> One of my favorite looking mascots, by the way.  What a cutie.
>>

> The BSD Daemon is Copyrighted by Marshall Kirk McKusick, see
> http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/mainpage/copyright.html.
> I contacted Mr. McKusick, and his response is below
>

> --
> - Amiga, The Computer for the creative Mind!
> - UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a
> genius to understand the simplicity.
> - People who hate Microsoft Windows use Linux but people who love UNIX use BSD.

Sorry guys, I thought I attached the file but I guess I didn't. Anyway
here is my correspondence with him.
This was concerning my FreeBSD Wallpaper site,
http://picasaweb.google.com/randy.belk/FreeBSDWallpaper.
Sorry for the plug, ;-)

Mr. McKusick's response:

> Mr. McKusick,
>
> I have the site back up and I have also added that your
> are the copyright holder of the BSD Daemon on the top
> right of the page.
>
> I am providing these to the FreeBSD community for free!

Your usage of the BSD Daemon in this context is acceptable.
Please note however that many of the variations that are
used on the wallpaper designs are not owned by me. They have
been created by other people and I do not have the right to
grant your use of those variations on the BSD Daemon. When
you grab a wallpaper to add to your collection you should
ensure that the person that you got it from allows it to be
redistributed.

Marshall Kirk McKusick