Pre-compiled package shortage

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Wed Jun 17 06:57:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:59:08AM -0400, David Karapetyan wrote:
> Hello everyone. I am a former user of Freebsd-7.2 Release who migrated to
> Debian. I was unable to find an ftp server that had a decent enough list of
> precompiled packages (including the default at ftp.freebsd.org; for
> example, when installing gnome2 via precompiled packages, the package
> manager was unable to find a number of dependencies available in package
> form. True, I can compile them from source, but this is rather time
> consuming. Does anyone know of an ftp server dedicated to maintaining a
> comprehensive list of precompiled packages (a la Debian Testing)? In all
> other regards, I favor freebsd over Debian or any other linux distribution,
> and would like to return to using it.

There are a number of ports that for legal reasons cannot be redistributed
as pre-compiled packages.  Quite possibly you ran into one or more of those.
Other than those ftp.freebsd.org (and mirrors) should have a complete set of
pre-compiled packages.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson