Pre-compiled package shortage

David Karapetyan dkarapet at nd.edu
Wed Jun 17 04:59:14 UTC 2009

Hello everyone. I am a former user of Freebsd-7.2 Release who migrated to
Debian. I was unable to find an ftp server that had a decent enough list of
precompiled packages (including the default at ftp.freebsd.org; for
example, when installing gnome2 via precompiled packages, the package
manager was unable to find a number of dependencies available in package
form. True, I can compile them from source, but this is rather time
consuming. Does anyone know of an ftp server dedicated to maintaining a
comprehensive list of precompiled packages (a la Debian Testing)? In all
other regards, I favor freebsd over Debian or any other linux distribution,
and would like to return to using it.