What server hardware are you buying from the big companies these days?

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Tue Jun 9 10:14:26 UTC 2009

>> task that even Pentium 100 will do.
>
> I'm hosting websites on 5-10 years old SUN hardware. V100/120 with ultrasparc II
> 400-650 Mhz. Just put in some new disks and memory, no sweat. They allmost

normal. 400MHz SUNs are available here for 100$ or less. they usually have
quite a lot of RAM even 512MB, but in case i need more - can it be added
with standard SDRAM DIMMs, or superexpensive SUN memory only?

how about disks? usually one don't need terabyte disk, and 18-36GB SCSI
drives are really cheap used.

But do SUNs accept normal SCSI drives or SUN-only? ;)

What you say about reliability of SUN hardware - fully agree.

> never break down. And I like the openboot and LOM facilities. A simple serial
> connection is all you need.

which is really important, and all super-excellent-modern PCs don't have.
I have to put some display card just to be able to configure things.