What server hardware are you buying from the big companies these days?

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Tue Jun 9 07:48:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:43:08AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar typed:

> Buy second hand branded hardware from ebay (allegro in poland). It's
> usually hardware that was used in offices and replaced by more "modern"
> ones. It's already tested!!!
>
> You could get high-end PIII with 512MB RAM for $30 at most, the only thing
> you may need to add is larger drives, but 20GB isn't uncommon. P4 with 1GB
> RAM and 40GB drive is for 60-70$ here.
>
> All this branded second-hand hardware have nice and small desktop cases,
> are usually quite silent and just works out of the box.
>
> For good software like FreeBSD, PIII/1000 is already lightning-fast.
>
> And from what i read on that list, 90% of your servers run quite simple
> task that even Pentium 100 will do.

I'm hosting websites on 5-10 years old SUN hardware. V100/120 with ultrasparc II
400-650 Mhz. Just put in some new disks and memory, no sweat. They allmost
never break down. And I like the openboot and LOM facilities. A simple serial
connection is all you need.
What do you use for remote management of those desktop cases?

Ruben