VMWare ESX and FBSD 7.2 AMD64 guest

Steve Polyack korvus at comcast.net
Fri Jul 24 15:11:23 UTC 2009

John Nielsen wrote:
> On Thursday 23 July 2009 19:44:15 Steve Bertrand wrote:
>
>> I'd appreciate any feedback on tweaks that I can make (either to VMWare,
>> or FreeBSD itself) to make the virtualized environment much more efficient.
>>

> See above about storage. Similar questions come up periodically; searching the
> archives if you haven't already may prove fruitful. You may want to try
> running with different kernel HZ settings for instance.

You should certainly try setting both kern.hz and vfs.read_max in the
FreeBSD VM.  I would recommend:

In loader.conf:
kern.hz=100

In /etc/sysctl.conf:
vfs.read_max=32

You may also try increasing vfs.hirunningspace.  I've had good results
with setting it to 32MB on write-intensive systems.  Tuning vfs.read_max
can give some boosts to physical-hardware FreeBSD systems as well.

-Steve Polyack