5000' ethernet?

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sat Jul 18 08:11:56 UTC 2009

Elliot Finley <efinley.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> A T1 can only run about 600 feet.  Yes, that's right, 600 feet.
> When people talk about T1s running long distances, the reference
> to 'T1' is only the signalling at the end.  In the middle, that
> "T1" will be carried by other methods such as SONET over fiber for
> very long distances.  For the "last mile" it will be carried on
> HDSL or similar technology.  Or if it's a fairly long copper path,
> it can be carried on T-carrier.

I suspect T-carrier is probably the technology I'm thinking of,
which would have been sufficient to reach from "practically
anywhere" to a telco switching center, even back in the mid-1970's
when a "T1" was considered blazingly fast (and neither fiber nor
HDSL was at all widely used, if they even existed).