5000' ethernet?

Elliot Finley efinley.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 19:55:25 UTC 2009

Just for the archives:
A T1 can only run about 600 feet.  Yes, that's right, 600 feet.  When people
talk about T1s running long distances, the reference to 'T1' is only the
signalling at the end.  In the middle, that "T1" will be carried by other
methods such as SONET over fiber for very long distances.  For the "last
mile" it will be carried on HDSL or similar technology.  Or if it's a fairly
long copper path, it can be carried on T-carrier.

But bottom line:  The T1 signal that comes off of a CSU/DSU will reach about
600 feet.