memory limitations per process

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 19 15:22:04 PST 2009

af300wsm at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running into a per process memory limit at work (on Windoze though),
> but I'm wondering what's the limit per process in FreeBSD for 32 bit
> systems, ie i386? Is it 4gb or 2? From stuff I found on the Net, I'm
> guessing 4gb, but wanted to ask anyway. It seems to be an implementation
> deal limiting the windows world to 2gb per process rather than hardware
> limitations.

Your question is vague.

A 32-bit process can only access 4 GB of memory, but all processes also
have a bit of memory "reserved" for the kernel. On FreeBSD the
accessible memory for processes is closer to 3 GB than 2 or 4. See this
discussion for details: http://wiki.freebsd.org/KVA_PAGES

Also, FreeBSD processes have administrative limits to their size set by
defaults. See for example this: