memory limitations per process

Chris Rees utisoft at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 10:14:40 PST 2009

2009/2/18  <af300wsm at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running into a per process memory limit at work (on Windoze though), but
> I'm wondering what's the limit per process in FreeBSD for 32 bit systems, ie
> i386? Is it 4gb or 2? From stuff I found on the Net, I'm guessing 4gb, but
> wanted to ask anyway. It seems to be an implementation deal limiting the
> windows world to 2gb per process rather than hardware limitations.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy
>

>From /boot/defaults/loader.conf:

#kern.maxdsiz=""                # Set the max data size
#kern.maxfiles=""               # Set the sys. wide open files limit
#kern.maxproc=""                # Set the maximum # of processes
#kern.maxssiz=""                # Set the max stack size

I suggest you play with these tunables a bit, IIRC the default maximum
process limit is 512 MB.

Someone'll doubtless come along soon with the real default.

Chris

R< $&h ! > $- ! $+	$@ $2 < @ $1 .UUCP. > (sendmail.cf)