getty on /dev/ttypN

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Feb 14 12:56:35 PST 2009

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 15:33:20 -0500, "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier at digitaltorque.ca> wrote:
> I think I ran mergemaster correctly on the upgrade. I'm not sure why init is
> trying to talk to these ports, which are obviously pseudo terminals...

Do you have X running? Usually, the ttypN pseudo terminals
are employed by xterms (or other terminal emulators on X).
Maybe this is a result of a non-starting X?

Do you have automated "screen" sessions running? Does the
command "w" show something strange?

The configuration files you showed seem to look completely
normal.

I don't see why init tries to getty for the ttypN...

	init: can't exec getty 'none' for port /dev/ttyp[01]:
		No such file or directory

The ttypN files in /dev are, if I see this correctly, only
generated when needed.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany