xorg && 7-current && ( kde || nvidia driver ) == desktop crash

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 17:43:57 PST 2009

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Glen Barber wrote:

>>> Yes ... both mouse and keyboard have been working great ...
>>>

>> Well, that's good to hear. ;)
>>
>> Thought I'd as to be safe.
>
> Ya, that was the easiest problems to search on google and get fixed :)
>
> I'm going to try downgrading to xorg 7.3 ... I'm having headaches with
> fonts (Location bar in firefox3 is unreadable, although all pages are
> fine ... mail messagesin mulberry are unreadable, although the message
> index is *just* readable, etc) ... someone mentioned some changes in
> 7.4 concerning fonts, and I figure, my luck, this might be something
> that is trickling into other areas :(

FWIW, I run both KDE and KDE4 w/ nvidia driver dual head on xorg 7.4.
Following UPDATING resolved the issues I had going from 7.3 > 7.4.

midco# uname -a
FreeBSD midco.net 7.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE #5: Tue Jan 13
13:35:17 CST 2009     adam at midco.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DOMINATOR  i386

midco# pkg_info | grep nvidia
nvidia-driver-177.80 NVidia graphics card binary drivers for hardware
OpenGL ren
nvidia-settings-180.17 Display Control Panel for X NVidia driver

xorg-7.4            X.Org complete distribution metaport