xorg && 7-current && ( kde || nvidia driver ) == desktop crash

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Feb 10 05:39:58 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 09:31:41PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> >> Yes ... both mouse and keyboard have been working great ...
> >>

> > Well, that's good to hear. ;)
> >
> > Thought I'd as to be safe.
>
> Ya, that was the easiest problems to search on google and get fixed :)
>
> I'm going to try downgrading to xorg 7.3 ... I'm having headaches with
> fonts (Location bar in firefox3 is unreadable, although all pages are fine
> ... mail messagesin mulberry are unreadable, although the message index is
> *just* readable, etc) ... someone mentioned some changes in 7.4 concerning
> fonts, and I figure, my luck, this might be something that is trickling
> into other areas :(

for me xorg 7.4 doesn't work at all on 7.1-stable i386 Compaq Armada 1700
laptop, I get "no device found" at X -configure stage. It worked fine with
7.3. The graphics device is Chips and Technologies. When I use vesa driver
instead I get to the graphics screen, but still no mouse or keyboard.
And if I enable_hald="YES" in rc.conf, my cdrom is not working at all.
I submitted a PR on this:

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/131426

--
Anton Shterenlikht