Ghostscript8 portupgrade failure

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Dec 20 22:03:11 UTC 2009

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009, Jamie Griffin wrote:

> I've now got a different problem when trying to portupgrade ghostscript8
> and the build fails with an error: (new compiler error).
>
> I had a problem with ghostscript the last time it need upgrading. I
> think then I removed it from the system and just built the new port.
> This time, I have a number of other ports that depend on it and
> pkg_delete ghostscript8 won't remove it because of the dependent ports.

The ghostscript8 problem has been fixed, so update your ports tree again
and portupgrade will work.

> If I `pkg_delete -f`  it and then rebuilt it from the ports tree will
> this cause problems with my system?

Not necessary in this case, but if needed you can find out what
portupgrade would have done by using the -n (noexecute) flag:

portupgrade -nr ghostscript8

(On one system this showed portupgrade was only going to rebuild
ghostscript anyway.)

Afterwards you can manually rebuild those dependent ports in that order.

For at least the problem port, do a plain 'make' first to be sure it can
download and build before you get rid of the installed version.

Once that completes successfully, do a 'make deinstall install' to
delete the previous version and install the new one.

The brute-force version of all this is

portupgrade -rf ghostscript8

Depending on the port, that can force unecessary rebuilding of a lot of
stuff.