Newbie discovers two useful apps...

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Mon Aug 24 21:54:28 UTC 2009

--On Monday, August 24, 2009 15:45:16 -0500 John Almberg <jalmberg at identry.com>
wrote:

> 2. DJB Daemontools: http://thedjbway.org/daemontools.html

[snip]

> Anyway, I dimly remembered this and dug into the DJB docs. Some will
> wonder why I found it easier to read a DJB doc than to read how to
> write a rc.d script... An excellent question, but in 5 minutes, I had
> my rubycas-server running under daemontools. It is that easy. I still
> don't know how to write an rc.d script, but I have to believe it
> would take me more than 5 minutes to learn and write. If you have
> daemons running, that you started manually from the command line, and
> are just hoping you'll remember to re-start them the next time you
> reboot, you should really check out daemontools...
>
> Much better than putting a reminder in your MOD (Me??? I would never
> do that!!!)

John, I have tried to convert linux startups scripts over to rc.d scripts for
some of my ports.  Frankly, it's easier to start from scratch.  In some cases
it's barely possible at all, especially when the software was written for Linux
with no consideration at all for other unix platforms.  This particular tip
will save a lot of people a lot of grief, I can assure you.

Thanks for sharing it.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst