Problem mounting EXT2FS

Jeronimo Calvo jeronimocalvop at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 24 20:53:27 UTC 2009

Hi folks, im migrating from Linux to BSD, and i found my first problem...
First of all, i did save my /home from my old Linux distribution on another
HD, ext2fs partition /dev/ad6s1... I can correctly see the drive from
sysinstall.

I read about compiling the KERNEL in order to add Ext2fs support under
Freebsd, wich I did... Adding the line:

 Quote:
  options EXT2FS
looking like this:

 Quote:
  options KBD_INSTALL_CDEV # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options ADAPTIVE_GIANT # Giant mutex is adaptive.
options STOP_NMI # Stop CPUS using NMI instead of IPI
options AUDIT # Security event auditing
#options KDTRACE_FRAME # Ensure frames are compiled in
*options EXT2FS*
#options KDTRACE_HOOKS # Kernel DTrace hooks
After this i recompiled the kernel and installed...

 Quote:
  # uname -a
FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE #0: Mon Aug 24 18:59:43 UTC 2009
iscariote@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL amd64
Well... everything should be ready now to mount my ext2fs partition... Using
the following command...

 Quote:
  # mount
/dev/ad8s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ad8s1e on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad8s1f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad8s1d on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ntfs/DATOSWIN on /media/DATOSWIN (ntfs, local, nosuid)
# mount -t extfs2 /dev/ad6s1 /ext2
mount: /dev/ad6s1 : Operation not supported by device

I tried several times, with not luck, one of those times i was able to mount
it, but not to access it, when i tried to cd /ext2 (folder when is mounted)
system tells me that ext2 is not a folder...

any ideas???

Thanks in advance!!