What should be backed up?

Frank Wissmann frank.wissmann41 at web.de
Fri Aug 21 20:17:02 UTC 2009

John Almberg schrieb:
> I am currently using rsnapshot to back up these directories on a FreeBSD
> 7.2 webserver:
>
> /etc
> /usr/home
> /usr/local
> /var/cron
>
> These directories contain all the data and config files that I use... I
> think...
>
> Question: am I missing anything crucial?
>
> Thanks: John

Hi!
As I think you should backup /var/db/ports and /var/db/packages in case
your machine crashes and you might have /usr/local on an extra
partition. Then you can easily make a new installation without
reinstalling the whole stuff under /usr/local. The named directories
contain information about the installed ports/packages and are needed to
recover a crashed system.

Greetings Frank