What should be backed up?

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Fri Aug 21 20:50:36 UTC 2009

On Aug 21, 2009, at 2:33 PM, John Almberg wrote:

> I am currently using rsnapshot to back up these directories on a
> FreeBSD 7.2 webserver:
>
> /etc
> /usr/home
> /usr/local
> /var/cron
>
> These directories contain all the data and config files that I
> use... I think...
>
> Question: am I missing anything crucial?

My general advice is to back up everything and then explicitly
excluding those things that you know that you don't need.  Here is my
exclude list from my rsnapshot.conf

  exclude         /var/log
  exclude         /var/tmp
  exclude         /usr/obj
  exclude         /usr/ports/distfiles
  exclude         /usr/local/squid

Also I backup by file system, so I'm already excluding /tmp

It is far to easy to forget something that needs to be backed up.

Cheers,

-j