not dead [yet].

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Aug 7 06:42:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 10:37:46PM +0000, b. f. wrote:
> Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >What you can do is make a list of all installed ports with ports-mgmt/portmaster:
> >  portmaster -L >ports.list
> >
> >Looking through this list, you'll see four categories;
> >- Root ports (No dependencies, not depended on)
> >- Trunk ports (No dependencies, are depended on)
> >- Branch ports (Have dependencies, are depended on)
> >- Leaf ports (Have dependencies, not depended on)
> >
> >Basically, you can delete any of the leaf and root ports, because
> >they're not depended on. E.g. if you have the following in your list as
> >a leaf port:
> >  ===>>> qemu-0.10.6
> >you can execute 'pkg_delete -d qemu-0.10.6' as root, and it is gone.
>
> If you're only interested in deletion, "-l" should be preferred to
> "-L".  And portmaster with these flags does not always account for
> build dependencies. so with this method you may occasionally remove a
> port that is only used to build other ports, but is not a runtime
> dependency of any other port.  Also, occasionally a port Makefile
> doesn't properly account for some dependencies, and removing them will
> break the port.  So there may be some breakages that you'll have to
> fix, but this shouldn't happen often.
>
> When removing ports, I sometimes use pkg_deinstall -vR, sometimes also
> with -i.   because it can clean out the now-unneeded dependencies of
> the port I'm removing, which speeds up this process. Provided your
> pkgdb and portsdb are up-to-date, it's a little better than portmaster
> -s, which relies on +REQUIRED_BY to detect stale dependencies, and may
> occasionally fail.
>
> b.

Hmm.  here is the output from df:

     ~
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    507630   363386  103634    78%    /
devfs               1        1       0   100%    /dev
/dev/ad0s1e    507630   107700  359320    23%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s1f  32816996 24508992 5682646    81%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1d   2007598   862818  984174    47%    /var
linprocfs           4        4       0   100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc

Since this box was a give and top qual, a Dell running a  2.4GHz, no complaints.
I asked and the gifter installed two optical drives and a new secondary hard
drive.

'07, i think.  so do i really have > 300G?  the thing i don't understand is: *what*
could be using up 80% of /usr?

For as much as I use things-gui, i like both KDE and Gnome.  Hate to have all them
electrons weighing things down with, say, koffice, when i don't use it.

gary

    The 5.67a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php