not dead [yet].

b. f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 7 09:00:48 UTC 2009

On 8/7/09, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:

> Hmm.  here is the output from df:
>
>      ~
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a    507630   363386  103634    78%    /
> devfs               1        1       0   100%    /dev
> /dev/ad0s1e    507630   107700  359320    23%    /tmp
> /dev/ad0s1f  32816996 24508992 5682646    81%    /usr
> /dev/ad0s1d   2007598   862818  984174    47%    /var
> linprocfs           4        4       0   100%    /usr/compat/linux/proc
>
> Since this box was a give and top qual, a Dell running a  2.4GHz, no
> complaints.
> I asked and the gifter installed two optical drives and a new secondary hard
> drive.
>
> '07, i think.  so do i really have > 300G?  the thing i don't understand is:
> *what*
> could be using up 80% of /usr?
>
> For as much as I use things-gui, i like both KDE and Gnome.  Hate to have
> all them
> electrons weighing things down with, say, koffice, when i don't use it.
>
> gary

I must have missed something in this thread.  Last time I looked, we
were talking about port deletions. At a glance, it looks like you have
about 35Gb -- the df output says that those are 1kb blocks.  It also
looks like /usr/local is not a separate mountpoint, so both the base
system software in /usr and the third-party software in /usr/local are
counting towards the roughly 23Gb used in /usr.  (But why ask us?
Just run du(1) or something, and find out.)  I have older hardware, so
I use the CLI as much as I can, and favor lightweight programs, only
using a few components of Gnome.  If you feel overburdened, consider
dropping one of the desktops, or using a lightweight alternative like
Xfce.  Or do like I do and just use a lightweight windows manager, not
a full desktop, and cherrypick a few pieces of software from the full
desktops.

This person was giving you a computer for free, and you somehow
managed to get them to install new, extra drives before they handed it
over?!  Tell them I need one, too.

b.