how to deceive programs as if I were a local user?

Kouichiro Iwao meta at club.kyutech.ac.jp
Sat Apr 25 12:45:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 11:22:22AM +0200, Ruben de Groot wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 05:34:16PM +0900, Kouichiro Iwao typed:
> > On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 11:17:11AM -0700, Chris Cowart wrote:
> > > This error means the program tried to look up some name information for
> > > your UID number and failed. You need to configure the data source in
> > > /etc/nsswitch.conf:
> > >
> > > group: files cache ldap
> > > passwd: files cache ldap
> >
> > I've already set like you showed.
> > But, not for /compat/linux/etc/nsswitch.conf .
> >
> > Configuring nsswitch.conf in linux emulation environment,
> > the program worked properly.  I did't know I had to set
> > /compat/linux/etc/nsswitch.conf for linux binary compatibility.
>
> That's interesting. Was there a /compat/linux/etc/nsswitch.conf before?
> I think that if it's not there, the linux emulation layer should take
> the system's /etc/nsswitch.conf as default. But I might be wrong(TM).

Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant.

# cd /compat/linux/etc
# mv nsswitch.conf nsswitch.conf.dummy

And I ran the sample program, the linux binary resuled success.
The linux emulator seems to take the /etc/nsswitch.conf.

However, it is true that /compat/linux/etc/nsswitch.conf had already
existed when I was going to edit.

--
Iwao, Koichiro <meta at club.kyutech.ac.jp>