Can you ACTUALLY print from FreeBSD?

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Mon Apr 20 18:48:10 UTC 2009

--On Monday, April 20, 2009 12:36:03 -0500 Keith Seyffarth <weif at weif.net>
wrote:

>> A laudable ambition!
>
> OK, honestly, am I working under a valid assumption that it *is*
> possible to print from FreeBSD? Or is this just going to engender
> greater frustration?

I can print from my FreeBSD box using CUPS.  Whether you can from yours I can't
say.

>> > cups-base-1.3.9_3   Common UNIX Printing System
>> > cups-pdf-2.5.0      A virtual printer for CUPS to produce PDF files
>> > cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_2 Postscript interpreter for CUPS printing to
>> > non-PS printers gutenprint-cups-5.1.7_3 GutenPrint Printer Driver
>> > libgnomecups-0.2.3_1,1 Support library for gnome cups admistration
>> > hplip-2.8.2_4       Drivers and utilities for HP Printers and All-in-One
>> > device

This is what I have:

pauls at utd65257# pkg_info -a | grep cups | sort -u
Information for cups-base-1.3.9_3:
Information for cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_2:
WWW: http://www.cups.org/
WWW: http://www.cups.org/ghostscript.html
cups-base-1.3.9_3
cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_2
that use these filters. This software is available in the cups-pstoraster

> OK. I created and edited this file. At least now on attaching the
> printer, the permissions are other than root:operator.

I never had to do this to get printing working, and my devfs.conf file is a
sample file with no lines uncommented.  Printing works fine.  (Note that I am
not printing to a local printer.)

> That doesn't change the behavior. It still fails to print, and seems
> to error on a missing dll.

This makes no sense at all.  DLLs are a Windows version of a library.  FreeBSD
doesn't use them.  Are you by any chance trying to print through Wine?

>> > And, actually, a third printing-related issue: How do I get cupsd to
>> > start on startup? I have these two lines in /etc/rc.conf:\
>> >
>> > cupsd_enable="YES" # enable cups printing management
>>
>> That should be enough to get it running.
>
> it doesn't. :(

Do you have the startup script:
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd ?

If so, what is the output of /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd status?

You should have the following files and folders:

/usr/local/etc/cups/
classes.conf        interfaces/         mime.types.N        pstoraster.convs
cupsd.conf          mime.convs          ppd/                snmp.conf
cupsd.conf.N        mime.convs.N        printers.conf       snmp.conf.N
cupsd.conf.default  mime.types          printers.conf.O     ssl/

What's the output of this command?
# grep -v "#" /usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

What's the output of this command?
# cat /usr/local/etc/cups/printer.conf

Have you read the CUPS documentation?
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/overview.html