Can you ACTUALLY print from FreeBSD?

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Mon Apr 20 17:58:46 UTC 2009

Keith Seyffarth wrote:
>>> I'm trying to print from my FreeBSD machine. I've been through a
>>> number of online tutorials and instructions on printing from Unix or
>>> FreeBSD in particular, but they all seem to start with the assumption
>>> that printing from the machine is possible. I'm trying to get to that
>>> starting point.
>>
>> A laudable ambition!
>
> OK, honestly, am I working under a valid assumption that it *is*
> possible to print from FreeBSD? Or is this just going to engender
> greater frustration?

Unfortunately the frustration level tends to be inversely proportional
to the brain power of the printer.  Things are relatively easy if you
have a printer which directly accepts PostScript.  Unfortunately, this
is not the case with an HP OfficeJet 4110, hence all the extra bits and
fiddling.

But you can actually print from FreeBSD.  I've seen it with my very own
eyes.  :-)

--

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com